Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Green Smoothies!

I love green smoothies, and even better, so does my kid!  He points at the blender and shouts, "Green smoothie!"  Which, in his language sounds more like "Deen Mootie!"  But I speak his language...sometimes.  Unfortunately his word for smoothie, movie and poopy all sound the same.  You just have to look at what he's pointing at for clarification...blender, TV or bathroom?

Anyway, while poking around the world wide interweb this morning, I ambled over to 100 Days of Real Food...an excellent resource if you are thinking of making changes away from processed foods and moving into the realm of "real food."

While there, I found this page: How to Make a Perfect Green Smoothie.  Considering I whipped up a green smoothie for breakfast this morning and found it just a touch bitter, the tips on this page are super helpful.  She says to keep it to a 60:40 ratio.  Sixty percent fruit to 40% green leafy veggies with a 1:1 ratio of veggie to liquid.

So what does that mean?

My morning smoothie would have tasted better had I whipped out the measuring cups and measured out 1 packed cup of spinach, 1 cup of OJ and 1.5 cups of frozen fruit.  Now they don't list juice on their acceptable liquid list, but milk makes me gassy and water just tastes so...watered down, and I'm guessing wine wouldn't be an acceptable alternative.  So the only other liquid that left me was OJ.

Apparently, another tip is to blend the liquid and green leafies first, then add the frozen fruit and blend until smooth for a delicious, sweet, creamy smoothie.

You can beat I will try again tomorrow with these tips in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment