Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Semi-Homemade Dinner: Pulled Pork and Coleslaw

I used to think Food Network’s Semi-Homemade show was lame and kind of a cop out.  Then I had kids…funny how your perspective changes.  At the same time that I want to provide them with healthy nutritious meals and snacks, if I try to do everything, I will literally have a nervous breakdown. 

Digression: My mother recently told me a story about some friend or neighbor she knew way back when.  Said friend or neighbor had one child and kept everything ridiculously tidy.  As in bathed the child every time he or she ate something.  This person then had a second child and attempted to keep up the same crazy-ass standard.  She had a nervous breakdown.  True story.

Anyway, my point is, trying to do it all will literally send you to the nuthouse.  (Do nuthouses still exist?  I don’t really know, but either way, the men in white coats will come to take you away, he he.)

So the other day, I made pulled pork for dinner.  It was flipping delicious, and no, I will not be sharing the recipe.  It’s my sister’s recipe, and it’s her secret recipe.  I mean, she shared it with me because I’m her sister and I’m totally awesome.  Also she shared it with everyone who came to the reception following my children’s baptism, so if you were there, you got it.  Otherwise, I can’t help you.

So anyway, I followed the recipe as dictated (orally, never in writing), and it is, itself, a semi-homemade recipe.  As a side dish, I served coleslaw that I bought…in a bag…at a big box store.  There’s a chance I’m not as crunchy as I thought I was.

Now, yes, the coleslaw was a purchased mix of shredded cabbage and carrots, and it wasn't even organic (gasp!) but at least I made the dressing for it myself.  It was a simple mix of lemon juice, olive oil, salt and sugar. 

Anyway, that’s the kind of semi-homemade I like.  Pulled pork in the crockpot and a side of coleslaw…but the bread I served it on was homemade.  I live for the small wins.  

No comments:

Post a Comment