Monday, May 5, 2014

Today's Homemade: Body Wash

I made my sister a homemade body wash last week, and she loves it.  It gets nice and soapy on a body pouf (I'm sure a washcloth would be just as effective), and it smells great!

The recipe is so easy.

1/2 Cup Dr. Bronner's Liquid Castile Soap
4 TBSP vegetable glycerin
3 TBSP sweet almond oil
10ish drops of essential oil

Now obviously, you can use unscented soap and create any flavor palette you want, but my sister likes citrusy smells, so I used the orange scented soap and sweet orange essential oil.  I mixed the whole thing in a pint sized mason jar and found that it was only half full, so I added the ingredients all over again to make a double batch.

Shake it all up before you use it just to make sure that everything is well mixed.  I liked this recipe because it doesn't call for water, which can breed bacteria.

She loves it...frothy and fragrant, and she feels nice and clean afterward (I think, I haven't actually asked her, but she hasn't complained about feeling grimy).  As one of my few readers, she can chime in with a comment if she wants to add anything.

A couple notes:
The original recipe called for fractionated coconut oil, I don't have that, so I went with sweet almond.  Also, this really should be stored in a glass bottle because the essential oils can cause plastic to breakdown.  Ideally, it would be stored in a glass pump bottle, but if you can't make that happen, just pour a small amount onto a loofah or washcloth, rather than dipping into it....you want to try and avoid potential contamination.

My mother wants lavender, so that will be my next batch...then maybe I'll make one for myself...I'm thinking peppermint for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment