Thursday, May 15, 2014

Ch-Ch-Changes

So here I sit, anxiously awaiting the end of the semester...tick tock goes the clock.

The end of the semester most likely means the end of regular posts.  I will try to keep posting a few times a week over the summer, but honestly my kids keep me much busier than my job, so most likely, I will slow down quite a bit.

What else is changing?

I've been toying with my beauty care and working out the kinks of these natural methods of cleansing myself.

I'm about four weeks into the no 'poo method, and last week, I started looking for an alternative.  The first week, I loved it and I felt like my hair looked and felt great! The second week, I started feeling oily on my off days and kind of itchy.  By the third week, I definitely felt itchy and was starting to search for alternatives.

Here's the thing, my hair was pretty nice beforehand, so maybe no 'poo works better if you feel that your hair doesn't react well to commercial shampoo.  But I still want to keep toxic chemicals off my hair and body as much as possible, so I found a recipe for a castile soap based shampoo that I've used twice now with moderate success (I'll write a different post with that recipe).

I'm also still tweaking the oil cleansing method.  Mostly, I'm trying to get the timing right in terms of when to do it.  I was doing it during the shower, but between that and the BS/ACV hair routine, my shower time had doubled (at least).  With two little kids, I'm looking to shorten my shower routine, not lengthen it.

The other thing was that I felt like the OCM was contributing to oiliness in my hair.  So I cut down to doing it only every other day--on the days I wash my hair.  But since that still made my shower time too long, I decided to go back to doing it at night.  I'm still going to do it every other day (especially since we're entering hot and humid season), but now I will do it the night before I wash my hair. 

Then on off days from the OCM and in the shower, I will just rinse my face with water and maybe exfoliate with a wash cloth.  I also made myself an ACV/water/rosemary EO facial toner that I like to use to combat any extra oiliness.

So that's where I am now...

BS/ACV hair care: doesn't look like it's for me.
OCM: I like it, just trying to work out the kinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment